Tuesday 19 August 2014

Open Air Concert (Flying)


I wrote this after a trip to Omarama to watch gliders. The music that is mentioned in the text is supposed to fit with the action taking place at that time. If you don't know the music try listening to a few of the pieces and you should get the flavour.     
 
Open Air Concert
 
Some people just take to classical music. Others prefer rock and roll or country or Jazz. I have always admired classical music and I have gone to the odd concert or two. I usually embarrass myself by clapping in all the pauses rather than recognising the end of the piece. I can name popular pieces that advertising companies hammer to death but to date my CD/MP3 collection has only about 10% of its music that dates back earlier than 1960.

Classical music involves hard work, it is more complex and more three dimensional than modern music. It certainly needs a team effort. I have a huge respect for anyone that can play a musical instrument having made a dismal attempt in my youth and given it up for the sake of humanity.
 
Several years ago I was at a Christmas picnic at Omaka when the late Ray Lynskey preformed a glider demonstration to a piece of classical music. It was awesome. I didn’t know gliders did anything but float back down to earth like sycamore seeds. The display was fluid and moving. It was a wonderful example of conservation of momentum. I was impressed with what could be done without a motor. Rays flying talent, perfect choreography and a well chosen piece of classical music made for a jaw dropping experience that I can still visualise in my minds eye today.

Some people get bitten by the gliding bug and yet others prefer powered flight or helicopters or ballooning. I tried gliding once but was most disappointed by the lack of excitement, speed and noise. Back then I preferred Pat Benatar. We got a tow up circled the local rubbish dump a few times and landed again. It was more a pop for your buck rather than bang. Then my bucks got diverted into fuel for powered flight. Four bangs per buck.
 
I went to Omarama this Christmas. The first attraction to gliding was the late starts. Glider pilots go to a briefing at 10am to suss out the weather and therefore the activities for the day. This suits me far better than balloon pilots who I see landing while I am munching my way through breakfast still in my dressing gown. The second thing I liked was the community feel to the campsite. Achievements were recognised and applauded, sometimes with a surprise bucket of water to boot. There was an extended family feel, especially in the kitchen. With the international guests and cooks hovering over a communal stove it felt like a cross between the three tenors and the Muppets Swedish cook. Yes Chaos. New years eve was a combined BBQ and an ooh-aarh display of fireworks (1812th).     
 
Glider pilots are constantly reading the sky like musicians read sheet music. Interrupting the notes/clouds for the tune of the day. The key clouds giving them a clue to the frequency and tone of the wind. It is said that old pilots can read the weather like a newspaper. Lennie, the weather guru, was a master. Lennie started 10am sharp and watching glider pilots trying to get breakfasted and showered in time was funny William Tells overture, Rossini. I think of Lennie as the conductor giving guidance and order. Some cloud shapes seemed to get great excitement out of the glider pilots, lenticular wave cloud was a favourite. I suppose musicians prefer some musical pieces to others. 
 
Once the weather was right all hell would break loose on the start grid with everybody wanting to get into the air at once. “The flight of the bumblebee” by Rimsky-Korsakov. The tow planes, Pawnees, would set a rhythm. Up, drop their glider and back in to collect another glider in around seven minutes. Like a metronome constantly ticking in the background.

Then the gliders would all collect over a ridge, turning around and around to gain height like circling vultures. Once enough height was gained they’d swoop for the next up draught. Arrival of the Queen of Sheba, Handel. I’ve always found Handel uplifting. They use thermals like steps to get up to, if they are lucky the wave. The climaxal piece, O Fortuna Carmina Burana Orff. If they get too high and start getting ice on their wings “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy, The Nutcracker by Tchaikovsky”

its time to start descending. Dance of the Hours, Ponchielli. (Yes I see a toilet roll ad, it should be outlawed).

Sometimes there are out landings. A powered pilot would call it a forced landing. Pilots run out of lift and have to land in a paddock away from their home field. Glider pilots seem unfazed by this inconvenience. I imagine them serenely listening to “sheep may safely graze” by Bach while they are waiting for their pick up crew. They may have to put the ipod on repeat it could take awhile. I’ve heard some pilots chose to adjourn to the local pub until said crew turn up. Hungarian Dance No5 Brahns 

Then there are the soloists. The stand out performers. Vanessa Mae, Warm Air, Nigel Kennedy L’estate (Four seasons, Summer). Kiri Te Kanawa soprano, Pavarotti tenor, They are recognised for their skill and stamina. They play long solitary pieces and make records that capture the attention of the public bringing fame, fortune and recognition to the classical sport.
 
At the end of the day if we were lucky we got treated to a fitting finale by Terry Delore in his majestic glider showing once again what can be done with momentum. Ravels Bolero.
 
This summer I was content to sit on the ground enjoying the performances, admiring the talent needed to fly these plastic pterodactyls. Next year I might take my ipod for a fitting musical cues to the visuals. Vangelis 1492, Conquest of Paradise perhaps, though it’s sort of been done to death by some rugby team. If I get lucky enough to be taken aloft I think perhaps Piano Concerto No.21 by Mozart would keep me calm about not having a motor. If we make it to Mount Cook I’ll switch to Ave Maria Schubert I figure I’ll be soaring with the angels by then.

Published Sport Flying Spring 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment