Sunday 14 September 2014

Refocusing (Akaroa 2005)


Refocusing
 
Do you remember those 3D pictures that were all the rage about ten years ago? I worked on a science road show at the time and we had a couple of large pictures for exhibition. They drove me crazy. I was convinced it was a conspiracy. I couldn’t for the life of me see anything but a mosaic of colours. Time after time I’d be walking across the hall to see a group of children suddenly collectively gasp, point and titter on about fish then move on to the next exhibit. It was infuriating, it was a have. One day a student feeling sorry for me told me the trick. You’ve got to focus beyond the pictures surface. It helps to focus on light reflected in the picture. My mind still refused to see.

Then the next day at the end of a particularly tiring day I stopped in front of one of the images.  My lazy eyes fell on a reflection from an overhead spotlight. The image just leapt out at me, I gasped and stood mesmerised for a full minute. It was there all the time I just needed to look at it with the right focal length to see it’s full depth.
 
This memory came back last weekend while I was staying in Akaroa it seems a fitting assimilation. The first time I went to Akaroa I was showing around an overseas tourist. We went to the lighthouse looked back at the village and drove out of town again. The next time I was with a group of motorbike friends and we raced over for an afternoon ice cream from Christchurch. The next time I took my mother to see the Herb Garden. I almost saw it then but the light wasn’t quite right. Only bits of it were coming into focus.

Last Friday I was feeling a bit dragged down by the ho hum life stuff so I decided to run away. I rang up the first Motel I found in the yellow pages La Rochelle and booked a night. I threw my stuff in the car. My camera, my togs, my raincoat, some walking shoes and some going out clothes.
 
Upon arrival my host convinced me I should stay two nights. Something about room allocations. It wasn’t a hard decision. Once I’d rattled all the cupboards and eaten the free biscuits I headed into the village, camera in hand. Something about the sea has always unwound me and I strolled along shoreline breathing in the scenery and the fresh sea smell. I walked the wharf and noted some new buildings since last I visited. A bit juty because of their newness. I chose to sit at a café and ordered Oysters just to poke my tongue at protocol. I don’t see why lovers should get the worlds supply of oysters. I had an enjoyable hour people watching.

The tourist writing in his diary, the businessman on his cell phone whilst his dinner got cold, the local girls getting together for Friday drinks, a few lovers and a few x lovers. None of them had oysters. As yet I’d taken no pictures, it was getting dark, I walked back to my accommodation.

The next day I grabbed something at the bakery and set out on a walk to redeem myself of three months of inactivity. I took my camera. At the far end of the track I sat down on edge of a very steep slope and watched the dolphins swimming with the humans. They were too far away to focus my camera on but I was beginning to build a picture. That was the catalyst, that was the spot light that made me start to see.

After a full day of walking I rewarded myself by hobbling down to “The French Restaurant” C’est La Vie. I was seated with a group from such far fling places as Singapore, Aussie and New York. The lady from New York had been working in Sydney for the week and decided to come to Akaroa for the weekend and I thought I was being impetuous! Someone has done a fantastic job of promoting the little village. Certainly Magdalena’s seamless hospitality that evening made one feel at home with friends. Perhaps my New York friend had heard about the fudge. I read on the packet that it had 3 months shelf life. They should be weary of false advertising claims, mine lasted 12 hours and that included 8 hours of sleep. Yes mum I ate Fudge for breakfast but I brushed my teeth afterwards.

Going to both the Akaroa and Okains Bay Museums brought the place into sharper focus.
Having opted for the two nights I finally had time to visit the NE Bays of Le Bons, Okains, and Little Akaloa. Roads I wouldn’t want my mother driving on but worth the winding mileage. I think Little Akaloa brought it all together. The delightful church built in a European style outside, inside is adorned with Maori motifs. Carved and sculptured in wood, limestone and glass. Situated on a small headland overlooking a long deep safe harbour.  

What was it about Akaroa that was so enchanting. It wasn’t just the old buildings, it wasn’t just the harbour, and it wasn’t just the food. It was the whole mosaic. The history, the people it attracted to live there, the spirit, le essence (as the petrol station is named). It is the quirky nature. Its not something you can see at a glance you have to sit awhile and catch the right light to see the reflections of what it was and what it has become.
 
And the image in that 3D picture all those years ago…was of course of Dolphins. They are the extra magic.

Published The Akaroa Mail December 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment